OverviewNow that you have determined the Executor or Administrator of the estate and if any pre-arranged funeral, pre-paid funeral plan or funeral insurance are in place, the following activities need to be undertaken to:
- agree with the family that the body can be transported to a funeral home or licensed storage facility;
- decide who will complete the transport; and
- decide whether the family wishes to hold a viewing of the deceased after transportation.
6.1 General Considerations
The Executor or Administrator as determined in Step 5 – Duties of an Executor & How to Determine the Executor or Administrator is responsible for the transportation and disposal of the body.You will need to decide whether or not to engage:
- a Funeral Director for the body transport and storage only; or
- a Funeral Director for the body transport, storage and all related services including the funeral.
Based on Step 4 – Locate the Will & Insurance Information you have also determined if any pre-arranged funeral, pre-paid funeral or funeral insurance plans are in place and have contacted the provider. The provider will be able to inform you of any specific requirements such as selecting a specific Funeral Director or any other restrictions on the level of service to consider.
6.2 Choosing a Funeral Director
- home, then make sure you focus on the body transport first to make sure you can transfer the body to a refrigerated storage facility and discuss other services in a second phase; or
- a mortuary of a nursing home or hospital, then you may have negotiated a bit more time to discuss your options with a Funeral Director in more detail including all services relating to transport, storage and the funeral.
If no pre-arrangement is in place, you should request two to three itemised quotes to compare prices.
6.3 Choosing a Licensed Transport & Storage Provider
If you are not ready or unsure about discussing all the services offered by a Funeral Director at this moment but are mainly concerned with the transport and storage, then a licensed transport and storage provider may be a good option.
However, please consider that you will most likely need to hire the services of a Funeral Director and the body will need to be transferred again.
Actions and Decisions to Complete Step Yourself
If you have decided to tackle this Step yourself after reading and understanding the above, you may want to:
- Agree with the family that the body can be transported to a funeral home or licensed storage facility;
- Confirm the deceased person’s bank can make payment from the account (see Step 19.1) or who will make payment until reimbursed from the estate can be made;
- Contact the relevant insurance company or Funeral Director to enquire about the pre-arrangement, how it can be accessed and what the inclusions and exclusions of the plan are
(see Step 6.1 above);
- Decide if you will use the services of a Funeral Director or a Licensed Transport and Storage provider where no Will or specific pre-arrangements are in place
(see Step 6.2 or Step 6.3 above);
- Source two to three quotes for the body transportation from providers, if no pre-arrangements are in place; and
- Inform the family of the details.
Click for supporting:
Cost & Effort
Reading: 5 mins
Preparing: 1-2 hrs
Completing: 1 hr
Total: 2-3 hrs
Effort and cost are general estimates only and are based on the assumption that you complete this step without experienced support.
To find out how this Process Guide works, access the instructions here.
To find out what the capitalised words mean, access the glossary here.
Other forms not listed here may be required based on your specific circumstances.
Checklists & ToolsDownload the Testamentary Costs & Executor Expense Tracker to keep track of all testamentary, funeral and administration expenses for reimbursement once all estate funds are available.
Ask for Support
Executor & Administrator Support
If you are unsure about this Step or if you should engage a lawyer, we’re only a phone call away to point you in the right direction. See how simplyEstate can help.
Trusted Partner Support
When you need specific expertise, get in touch with our trusted partners near you.
Help us improve this step